1919 A4 Forums banner

new shipping rules for ORM-D cartridges, small arms

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Old CooT 
#1 ·
hey guys,

we ship a lot of stuff ORM-D with FedEx and got an email talking about some changes coming first part of 2013 for air shipments and first part of 2014 for ground shipments with regard to the classification of ORM-D materials....it looks like we are going to have to do away with that title and go with some sort of UN stickers...."The new regulations are designed to harmonize with international regulations"....so is this going to make shipping ammo a lot more expensive...?? i am going to copy and paste the email i got below...we ship chemicals that meet the ORM-D exemption...but i am concerned what this may mean for shipping ammo...here it is...let me know what yall think..:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Dear Valued FedEx Customer:
Dangerous goods shipping requirements are changing for the Other Regulated Materials Domestic (ORM-D) hazard class to comply with new regulations. These changes will affect your shipments with FedEx Express and FedEx Ground effective Jan. 1, 2013, for FedEx Express, and Jan. 1, 2014, for FedEx Ground.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) has adopted new regulations that impact domestic shipping through the elimination of the transportation mechanism for limited quantity hazardous materials currently reclassified as ORM-D.

Who This Affects
The new regulations affect anyone shipping using the ORM-D Consumer Commodity; Cartridges, Small Arms; or Cartridges, Power Devices classifications.

Changes for Shippers Using FedEx Express: Effective Jan. 1, 2013
FedEx Express will only accept shipments prepared in accordance with International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations. Many shipments currently classified as “Consumer Commodity, ORM-D (IDG)” may be classified under IATA as “ID 8000 Consumer Commodity, 9 (IDG)”; however, consignments offered for transport under the ID 8000 Consumer Commodity identifier must meet the requirement of Special Provision A112, which restricts items that can be offered. Items not meeting the Consumer Commodity provision must be classified under the original identifier.

What this means to you:

• Training: Ensure employees who ship these goods are trained in IATA regulations.
• Regulations: Purchase the IATA regulations for 2013 shipments.
• FedEx Software: Upgrade to the newest version of FedEx Ship Manager Software and FedEx Ship Manager Server after Jan. 1, 2013, at which time the ORM-D option will no longer be available.
• Other Software: Verify that your recognized third-party vendor or proprietary dangerous goods (DG) software used to prepare your Shipper's Declaration for Dangerous Goods complies with IATA regulations for 2013.
• Packaging: Ensure your packaging, DG markings, DG labels and Shipper's Declaration for Dangerous Goods entries comply with IATA regulations in 2013.
• Labels: Purchase IATA DG labels from IATA at www.iata.org or another vendor. FedEx Express does not supply IATA DG labels.
• Identification and Classification Changes: Under IATA regulations, the identification and classification for the following items change as follows:
– Cartridges, Small Arms, ORM-D (IDG) becomes UN0012, Cartridges, Small Arms, 1.4S (ADG).

– Cartridges, Power Devices, ORM-D (IDG) becomes UN0323, Cartridges, Power Devices (ADG).

Since the hazard class is changing from Inaccessible Dangerous Goods (IDG) to Accessible Dangerous Goods (ADG), the service options for shipping and the DG surcharges will change.

Changes for Shippers Using FedEx Ground: Effective Immediately, Required as of Jan. 1, 2014
The new regulations are designed to harmonize with international regulations and will replace the ORM-D, Consumer Commodity, with Limited Quantity classification for all shipments by 2014. After this date, FedEx Ground will no longer accept shipments labeled as ORM-D, Consumer Commodity.

Per DOT regulations, Limited Quantity shipments may be shipped under certain classifications:

Type of Shipment Description of Classification Labels
Limited Quantity Shipments With Shipping Papers Limited Quantity packages can be shipped with a Hazardous Shipping Paper (OP-900) and Hazardous Material Certification (OP-950). UN Performance Oriented Packaging (UNPOP) is not required. In this case, a diamond label indicating hazard class is not required. However, the shipper may use a diamond label with the UN or NA identification number inside. A hazardous materials surcharge applies. The shipper must select Hazardous Materials under the Special Services option via a FedExelectronic shipping solution and print out the OP-900 and OP-950 for this type of shipment.
Limited Quantity Shipments Without Shipping Papers As of Jan. 1, 2011, DOT regulations allow shippers to ship Limited Quantity packages without any shipping papers. In this case, UNPOP is not required. However, the specific Limited Quantity Diamond Label must be applied to the package. Shipped via this method, the packages will not incur the hazardous materials surcharge. The shipper must select ORM-D under the Special Services option via FedEx electronic shipping solution for this type of shipment. This will be relabeled Limited Quantity in the future.
The Y Denotes air shipping, but may be used on ground shipments.

Questions?
Direct questions to the FedEx Dangerous Goods/Hazardous Materials Hotline at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 and press "81" or say "dangerous goods" to reach trained personnel. This hotline is open 7 a.m.–7 p.m. CST weekdays and 10 a.m.–2 p.m. CST on Saturdays.

More Details
Go to fedex.com/hazmat for more details about the regulations.

See less See more
#4 ·
Probably means more $ for anything firearm/ammo related. Another administration ploy to control firearms.
Yeah I would say the above statement hits the nail on the head.. Any excuse to charge an extra dollar for the same deal.

#6 ·
Yup - all of the above I fear. What concerns me more is the term "UN sticker". Does this indicate the beginning of the UN Small Arms Treaty crap I've been reading and hearing about for the last year or so? I know Hillary and Obama are all for the US signing on the this - or at least this is what I've been told and read. Any ideas???

#7 ·
This seems like a perfect topic for an election year. I have lots of questions. Is domestic shipping truely being dictated by an international treaty? If it is, what is the legal basis? If there is no applicable US legislation or legal basis, can you just ignore the requirement? Has anyone contacted their elected representatives?

#8 ·
Yup - all of the above I fear. What concerns me more is the term "UN sticker". Does this indicate the beginning of the UN Small Arms Treaty crap I've been reading and hearing about for the last year or so? I know Hillary and Obama are all for the US signing on the this - or at least this is what I've been told and read. Any ideas???
I don't know about these "UN numbers" but UN numbers have been used on DOT HAZMAT placards on trucks and rail cars and packaging since the '70's.

Next time you see a tanker dropping gasoline at a convienience store check out the placard it should be for "FLAMMABLE LIQUID 1203" IIRC this number ID's the contents. Each of our fire apparatus had Emergency Response Guide books which had fire fighting and evacuation informaton for each of the classes. Sort of a handy "How to Do It" book

I don't know if this is an extension of that program or what? It is likely furtherthe ORM-D ( other restricted materials domestic) or Consumer Commodity shipping requirements

#11 ·
I've already seen these on shipments a while back. It is an attempt to have uniform markings on all shipping containers and documents worldwide. The ORM-D was mostly a US thing and as we all know more ammo leaves the US than comes in, so that is the main reason for the change. It had to be relabelled when it reached foreign ports which created problems for inspectors. Most of the ammo imported in the last couple years was marked this way. What did change a while back was the 1.4g classification which added a lot of cost to the shipments. Every round made or imported is accounted for, but I don't think buying a couple boxes at a gun show will raise any red flags with any of us personally?

#12 ·
What I see is anything like ammo, primers, powder, ect. prices will go up, it also seems, as with any new regs that the gubment has given us in the past, has a history of cost increases on the consumer.

It is a part of the ever-continuing gubment effort to turn the U. S.of A. into a 3rd world country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.