1919 A4 Forums banner

MG34 bolt problems

15K views 29 replies 5 participants last post by  Future111 
#1 ·
I have a MG34 semi on a TNW receiver and when I charge the gun the bolt slides real rough and is hard to pull back and sometimes sticks. After a few pulls the bolt makes a click sound and gets stuck and the charging handle pulls free of the bolt and wont grab It again. I have to take the butt stock off and force the bolt out of the receiver. there is a rod on the top of the bolt that I assume is the ejector. It slides through the top of the bolt into the face of the bolt at an angle. Is this supposed to have any spring tension? this one has no spring tension on It and slides back and fourth freely. Where It comes through the top of the bolt Its all buggered up and I think thats whats hitting the receiver and causing this problem. When I re install the bolt I have to push this "ejector" forward with my finger so It protrudes at its furthest point through the face of the bolt to get It to slide in the receiver. HEEEEElp me with my new toy please!!

#27 ·
wow your first pic shows your pin is about 5/16 long and mine is at 3/8 after my first weld and Its still barely catching the landing of the bolt. I feel that I can weld It again and make mine even longer and possibly charge the gun without It deflecting but Im still concerned about the power of the shot cartridge being powerful enough to cock the bolt. I know that cutting a spring down doesn't change Its strength but Im possibly thinking about grinding very small amounts off the firing pin spring to take at least a little off the pre-load of It. what do you think? I have to wrap the bolt in a towel and really twist It to get It to cock when Its out of the gun. Thanks for taking all this time with the pics and everything. I defiantly owe you!:)

#28 ·
Worth a try. If you ruin the spring, I have one I'm not using. I see an ad in the latest Shotgun News that has mg34 bolt assys for $75. Been thinking about ordering 1 but have never heard of the outfit and they have no websight. I am going to call them tomorrow and get some details and see if they have any other parts for these rifles. I'll let you know what they have to say.

#29 ·
OK well I re welded both charging handle pins and filed them down for the most contact with the recess of the bolt. They ended up A solid 1/8 inch longer than yours wetwilly and I had to do some tricky bevel filing to avoid hitting the roller on the bolt. The gun will charge with some effort without the pin deflecting off the bolt. Once again Im leary that the spent cartridge will cycle the gun. I think I will just grind enough of the firing pin spring that the shoulders of It on both sides will at least sit flush on their mating surfaces which will be only a few thousandths. I need to test fire the thing before I do any more major work to It, Like I said If Its a hard pull I can deal with It. If anything It will keep pussys from shooting my gun and save me on ammo!:D When everything works out (hopefully) I want to start looking into the bolt pcs. for the lighter trigger pull. I think I have whats considered the old style bolt and I dont know if TNWs kit will jive with It.

#30 ·
MG34 bolt problem

I just got my MG34 last Friday and noticed the same issue. Before I picked up my MG34 I found this site and read some posts here. When I noticed my bolt was hard to pull i checked everything that people had said to check out. Nothing worked. Then I got the idea to remove the extractor from the receiver so I took out the 2 screws and slid the extractor into the bolt channel and removed it. I reinstalled the bolt to see what would happen and to my surprise it slid back and forth easily without the extractor. I put it back and the same issue started again. I removed the bolt and extractor and LIGHTLY sandled the pin in the bolt and rounded the edge of the underside of the extractor where this pin rubs. The bolt retracts pretty good now and is just a little tight going forward without the recoil spring. I didn't remove any more metal as I believe it will "seat" itself after firing some rounds. You may want to try removing your ectractor from the receiver to see if you notice anything like I did. Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.