1919 A4 Forums banner

Is this a real German Inspection Mark? Waffenamt? Help! Do I have a Fake?

16K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  IMBLITZVT 
#1 ·
Guys,

Without telling you what machine gun part this is, can you tell me if its a fake mark or not? What does the number "10" mean? What are the possible years of production? Any info on this would help. How large should the mark be? The body of the Eagle looks like it has an "L" inside the circle that makes up the breast of the bird.

I have reason to believe this might be a fake. Any websites that could help would be great too. Thanks!

See less See more
#6 ·
Maxim Barrel? I have a couple of mg08 barrels with the same mark on them.

#7 ·
That is an interwar inspection mark. ...Probably mid 1930's. Don't know about the "10" but that is not a fake mark.

Maxim Barrel? I have a couple of mg08 barrels with the same mark on them.
Guys you are getting close. It is either a interwar piece or its new made in Vietnam. Jmann, can you check and see if you barrels actually do have this mark or is it without the "10" and larger different looking Eagle? I have a MG08 lock with the stamp but when you look at it, its very different. No its not a Maxim barrel. They guy I bought this from claims it original but someone else claims he is a master forger and this piece is actually new and made in Vietnam. I was hoping that this mark would give it away. I figure the "10" either means something or should help ID it as a fake. Are there any websites on these style marks? I figured the K98 fans would have a website with lots of pictures that might help me ID it? Thanks for the help guys!

#8 ·
I will look this evening. I am not sure about the number. I will try and get a pic or two for you.

#10 ·
I personally couldn't tell you, but I know some guys who probably can... Try posting the photos over here in the K98 forum...

G/K43 forum

#12 ·
Belt loader?

My interwar belt loader has a similar(note) mark. The eagle is much more stylised and very small. Maybe 1/8th. tiny three letter code with "11" I think. The loader sucks but its kinda cool. When I say tiny, I mean freakin' small on the code. I dont know how they could engrave that small. Frazer

#14 ·
If it is on a snail mag loader I would run. Ive seen the fakes of these and they are awesome, just not real. Frazer
Nope, don't worry its not a really a guessable part. Yeah this is small too. Probably about 1/8" wide. It took me forever to get those pictures. The main thing seem to be the way the wings are. They don't look exactly like I think they should. Also the meaning of the "10" should help out a lot!

#16 ·
why so cryptic about the item it is on?
Because I don't want the judgment on this inspection mark based on the piece that its stamped on. I just want a straight up look at this mark. Once I can get some info on it, I have no problem showing the part... not that you will find it interesting anyway. If you really want to know, PM me and I will show you. But I would rather just look at the marking on it for right now.

#17 ·
i guess that makes sense but it just sounded odd. i know very little of the validity of markings. but wondered why it made a difference what it was on for your side.

threads like these are the learning center of this message board so i try to glean as much as i can .

r

#18 ·
Matt, I was mistaken about the eagle. I have several with wings outstretched and a swastika, some with wings raised over their head, and some with wings lowered, but none that look exactly like yours and no clues to the 10. Sorry.

#22 ·
Proof Marks

Did not find any proof marks listing 10 as a factory. However, the Germans started to use codes towards the end of the war to hide the factorys where the arms were being built. Circle 10 is Bulgaria Factory 10. If you could tell what gun/part the stamp is on that would help. I have lots of books.

#23 ·
DLBTAP,

I am 99% sure that this part was made before about 1938 when most of the Nazi style stamps took over from the interwar style stamps. It is certainly not a war piece. That is or its a fake. I can almost assure you that the telling you the piece will not help. You can trust me on that or PM me and I will tell you. I told Rory and he agrees that it did not help... just confused the issue.

Really the key here is to find this mark on another gun or find someone who knows a lot about these Interwar stamps. If they are real, they were made after 1918 and before about 1938.

#25 ·
didnt think of krieghoff. I check my fg42.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.