1919 A4 Forums banner

60MM+ Mortar - obstructed chamber - Legal?

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  emmagee1917 
#1 ·
Is a mortar legal with a firing pin, if the cup/chamber is obstructed to not accept a 60MM round. E.g. The lower 2"-3" of the barrel is less than 60 MM ID.
Does this require a Form 1?
I plan to use black powder.

Thanks,
TomE

See less See more
#3 ·
I would say yes, if it is over 1/2" dia. and is intended to fire using the firing pin it doesn't matter what the bore actually is, could be your own design as to the round. I wouldn't take the chance and letter writting to the BATF usually has bad results, just look at the recent crap on SUBGUNS about a recent ruling concerning BRP uppers for the M16, caused a certain person who posts here once in awhile and got burned by BATF.

#6 ·
Well...

...the sub-cal device is not meant to be fired " stand alone" , it is designed to be inserted into a papered DD to be used. I'm not sure that it is ok to install one of these into a fuse-fired black powder mortar. It COULD be ok because of the smooth-bore ( shotgun like) bbl AND that NOONE has yet built a HE ( ie , DD) round for it. Again , I'd have a letter before doing this.
Your problem here , besides what has been said above , is that you could make your own fins and screw them onto a 60mm body and have a DD again. They BATFE will say no , of that I'm almost 100% sure of.
Chris

#7 ·
the 60mm subcals i've seen and played with have all been compressed air and and use a .22 blank in the head of the round to have smoke and bang.

#8 ·
All the subcals...

...I've seen do not use compressed air and use a LR blank in the tail to launch. Then again , on a tech. point , the firing pin IS in the rear of the bomb body , NOT in the tube base. There is a pillar in the tube base that runs up into the fin assmly of the falling bomb , striking the bottom of the floating chamber bringing it to a halt , as the rest of the bomb continues to fall , bringing the firingpin into contact with the base of the inverted blank. The blank goes off , pushing the body off the pillar and up the tube.
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.