1919 A4 Forums banner

is this gun legal to own?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  GooseSlayer 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Open bolt, single shot......no magwell for a magazine, so it can't be an MG. Barrel and overall lengths are legal for a shotgun, so I don't see a problem.
I don't know of any fed reg that prohibits an open bolt single shot firearm, but I haven't looked and don't have any interest in whether there is or not.......

Bob Naess

#4 ·
Yes it's legal. I owned 1 for years, then sold it for $200.....bought it for $100 in 1989. I am pretty sure they made quite a few of them. Keep in mind the bolt is the whole barrel. Barrel goes forward and a shell is shoved in. Pull trigger and whole barrel comes back and hits a fixed firing pin. I shot mine a lot. Strictly a fun gun. But not that much fun after the first few rounds....good luck.

#6 ·
Yeah,, but why would you want to???

#7 ·
history ,the design is from the Philippine Insurrection we handed these out to native ally irregular troops

In a way the fore runner of the Liberator pistol in WWII

It is built to be able to take anything you can cram in the chamber and fire it without damage or injury ,heavy mother and really cheap to build

#8 ·
All things being equal,, I'll stick with my Coach Gun,,

Looks like something "Sons of Guns" will "invent" next season.

#9 ·
I had one for awhile, too many years ago. Found it at a gun show and figured it was some kind of military demo prototype for proof of concept of a 12ga subgun, kind of like a sten on steroids. Seemed like it would be easy enough make it so, buy why bother? Sold it for twice what I paid for it and let somebody else contemplate the mysteries of the universe.

#10 ·
The Terminator shotguns were made by Cobray about 25 years ago. Kinda of a cheep goofy thing. You cock the BBL foreward and load a shell into the breach, then the BBL slams back onto a fixed fireing pin. Actually very few of these things got out. The ATF decided that it was an open bolt gun and banned them from selling any more than that were already sold. Bizzar but collectable......

#11 ·
Is there a reference in the Fed Regs documenting the 'banning' of the Terminator shotgun? Since there are several references above to ATF banning this gun because it is "open bolt", which makes no sense as it is single shot withut magwell or mag, I'd like to see the written regulation.

Bob Naess

#12 ·
Is there a reference in the Fed Regs documenting the 'banning' of the Terminator shotgun? Since there are several references above to ATF banning this gun because it is "open bolt", which makes no sense as it is single shot withut magwell or mag, I'd like to see the written regulation.

Bob Naess
Agreed. I see nothing illegal (or practical) about this weapon. While it looks silly, it is just a revised version of the Richardson "Philippine guerrilla gun" that was marketed and sold in the 50s. It appears that rather than slam-firing the gun, the barrel is spring loaded and released by pulling the trigger, which then chambered the round and fired it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263659043

#15 ·
i bought one brand new when they first came out $99 , still have it , standard 4473 form mine has a serial # above 300 and less than 400
Bought mine new also back in 89, #AF1105X so I'm guessing there were more than just 18 made regardless of what the seller indicated. Stock will bite into your hand if it's not extended when shot. Just your everyday slamfire gun.
Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.