1919 A4 Forums banner

Thompson M1A1 kit

12K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  MG08 
#1 ·
Thompson M1A1 parts kit; no receiver pieces included. All other parts shown in photo are included. $1400 plus shipping. First "I'll take it" gets it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Joker,

thats a m1a1 upper on what looks to be a 28A1 lower.... it will work just fine for a semi or a postie.. great cut location for a reweld.

#4 ·
It doesn't look like a 28A1 lower to me. It does not have a removeable buttstock. Also: I don't think the gun is de-milled correctly. I was going to cut up some of my post sample thompsons a while ago and contacted ATF on the correct procedure. The diagram they sent me required (3) torch cuts and it specifically showed where to cut. Yeah, it might be great cut locations for a re-weld, HOWEVER: It ain't done to current ATF Specs.
"MUCKER"

#5 ·
how can you tell from that picture that its not removable?

cause THIS is what all the M1a1's and M1's i have look like:

sure they could have some with the 28a1 style "paddle" flip switches.. but ive never seen gotten one that way.

didnt have real good pix on hand but look at the switches..

m1's & m1a1's have little "pin" style flip switches which were cheaper to make and kick out than the "nicer" paddle style.

doesnt matter either lower will work and on my semi designs teh lowers interchange on purpose.

as to how someone demills? why would you even go there? maybe thats exactly where it was demilled when he bought it, back before the requirements changed.....

#6 ·
No "Quick Detachable Buttstock"

What I should have said was: It doesn't have a "Quick Detachable Buttstock"! I said it doesn't have a "removable" Buttstock. That's wrong as all of them (the buttstocks) are "removable". That being said, a 28A1 has a "quick detachable buttstock" The gun in the photo does not. The guns in the photo that I have posted are 28A1s with quick detachable buttstocks. The lower receiver on a M1 or M1A1 has a lug that fits into the buttstock and (2) screws that hold it in place. The lower receiver on a 28, 28A1 or 21 has a groove in it to accomodate the quick detachable buttstock that releases by depressing a button just rearward of the receiver and at the foreward part of the buttstock. A stock as pictured in the add wil not fit on a 28A1 receiver.

As for the selectors, the gun pictured does have the type most common on a 28 or 28A1. However, since it was put together from a parts kit, those parts could have been easily switched out.

As far as the de-milling procedures are cocerned: Yes it's quite possible that when the guy bought the gun, the requirements were different. I've bought some older parts kits that had the extra long nose piece on the barrel and it makes for a much simpler re-weld. Once in a while a guy even comes across some "saw cut" pieces. However, that doesn't mean that the gun can be de-milled to older specs. Since it was and operating registered "post sample" gun, it must be de-milled to "current" specs. Call the ATF and ask for the "Tech Branch" and they will send you a diagram of the "current" specs to de-mill a Thompson Receiver. (3) Torch cuts at 45 degree angles and one of them through the ejection port.

When Sportsmans Guide were selling cut receivers in recent history, all of them were "3 cut" receivers. I don't think the people that made the 3rd cut, did it just for the hell of it. Possibly to comply with ATF specs?

"MUCKER"

Attachments

#8 ·
for the newer crowd here that doesnt know me......... lets just say ive got a "few" of these.... :) in M1's, M1A1's & 28A1's

the non quick detach stock has that piece of metal in the side of the stock that you see in my picture.... verses the quick disconnect style on the 28's with the big metal insert.

im quite aware of how the batf works, they've paid me a visit over my tommy conversions after many phone calls to their "tech branch".

even got an agent assigned to me for my future questions. (they are in driving distance to my house....) they have always been very helpful & ive never had the first issue with them at all.

worrying about how someone demilled a receiver that you can buy every day that way, on various sites such as Sarco, Numerich, IMA, OMEGA & so on is silly.

if you really wanna get specific? i can do that if it makes you happy... not only do you have to have a cut thru the magwell & have a gap between all 3 pieces..... you also have to put 3 bores size holes in the barrel, one of which has to be in the chamber area, 1 towards "the middle" or near a gasport if applicable and one just inside the front end or crown of the barrel.

but who really wants to go there and try to justify who demilled what and when?

ive probably got 2 dozen tommy receivers demilled in all different ways laying in a pile in the garage.. saw cuts, torch cut & every mixture of those that you can find. its wasnt a problem as they were just "scrap steel" when i purchased them.

it was a nice kit he posted and IF i'd have wanted to purchase it for that price, it would have been no issue at all on my end. it just wasnt in the right price range.

#10 ·
OK; I want to make 100% sure I keep everything "white hat" and above board for me, the 07/SOT it came from, and the buyer. So let me check with him Monday and see where we want to go with this before I go any further, just to be on the safe side. I'll update the thread later on once I find out.

#11 ·
Thanks for agreeing with me that the receiver has to be cut in 3 places. That actually creates (4) pieces. The required cut through the magwell makes it somewhat more difficult, but not impossible to re-weld. The photos of the 1928A1s that I posted have both been welded in the magwell area.

I don't think that worrying about how someone demilled a receiver is "Silly"! Especially if it's an NFA item and it isn't done correctly to current specs.

You can NOT buy receivers demilled as the photo shown "every day" from Sarco, Numerich, Ima or Don Bell at Omega. Check out their sites. Their receiver pieces are "3" cut. With the exception of Omega which doesn't sell cut receivers.

"MUCKER"

#12 ·
thats a great Tommy row! very nice!

Mucker: you can still buy them cut that way.. the only thing that hurts when buying these is the price is going up. saw a front stub with intact magwell go for $125 not too long ago.. thats getting too far out.. right now lots of people are overpaying for these parts/kits.

ive bought 1 cut, 2 cut & yes 3 cuts... really prefer the 2 cut tommy's because you can usually keep intact markings if your just patient and look around enough.

from IMA? bought a dozen sets of their 3 packs of receiver sections.. from Sarco? way too many to list. Numerich? 6 sets... OMEGA? a couple.

look on Sarco's table at knob creek. they just bring piles of these all dumped in a lump and you sort thru and get the ones you want.. ive helped several members pick out pieces for overlap builds this way. if you look closely at my M1 build you'll see it was from a 1 cut kit.. my 1st 28 was either a 2 or 3 cut.. cant remember with out going and looking at it. way too many builds ago. did 23 conversions of these last year & 50 in 2010... have no clue how many in 2009 when we went public with the conversion. they all start to blend together after a while. only remember the really easy ones or the really hard ones at this point, everything else is just a haze of smoke and fumes.

this is getting away from what my original post was to Joker.... that it was a nice kit & easy reweld for a Postie or a semi. it still is.

s

#13 ·
OK; I finally got a chance to talk to my friend about this kit, and he said this gun was never assembled as a post-sample. I was mistaken about that part of it on my part, thinking it was a different one that he had once that had been cut up. THIS gun is a parts kit and is being sold as such, along with a group of other parts (including some other receiver pieces) that he had put back a couple of years ago and dug out to sell. I think to avoid any questions with it, however, I will sell the scrap receiver pieces separately, along with the stocks, internals, accessories, etc. I will go back and edit the initial post to reflect all this, and change the photos to reflect what is and is not included in this sale.

#14 ·
OK; if nobody wants it without the receiver pieces, I will move it to Gunbroker later tonight or tomorrow. :)

#16 ·
Dave, the receiver pieces are listed in my other thread for "Thompson parts" along with a lot of other stuff. Look down towards the bottom of the list of parts. Some of them are already sold, but there are some pieces left. Please let me know which part(s) you want, and if you are interested in the rest of the kit or not. Thanks.

*moved Thompson kit to GB

*Thompson kit SPF

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.