1919 A4 Forums banner

Some questions about my ORF

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  barrelxchange 
#1 ·
Slowly I'm learning more about my ORF.

This looks a bit odd based on many of the photos I've seen online.

The gun is .30-06, but this sure looks like the .308 stop. The gun looks to be missing a front stop completely, and the tab for the top cover hinge looks to be located in the hole for the front stop.

The gun feeds dummy rounds flawlessly, and I am wondering if these are things I can easily fix? Or am I just obsessing (and if so, is that wrong? :cool:)?

The front and rear stops require riveting if I am correct, and that may be beyond my capabilities.

I've done a bit of tweaking to the gun, changed out the flimsy early style ORF sear/trigger setup for a KMP setup, changed out the feed lever that was "safety wired" with a USGI setup, and some other things.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is how my ORF was when I got it....First...Loosen up the bolt for the top cover and spin the tit (part thats sticking in the rivet hole) until that is resting on top front of the truon....You will have to add a FCS if you are shooting 30-06 for a reliable gun....Some guys say that there guns will run without it , but thats not how JB intended when he designed the gun so it's there for a reason.....My gun was in 308 so I did not need it.

#3 ·
Thats a 7.62 bolt, bolt stop, feedpawl bracket, and trunnion. She will run .30 cal with the correct booster and barrel but that is an Izzy modified setup. And as Gunner 50 pointed out that topcover latch catch is not suppossed to be in the rivet hole. When mounting the rivet I have used the 7.62 spacer with a shim in the bottom to back the rivet as I mounted it. I have also used a peice of steel in my blacksmiths vise to buck the rivet while I set it. Not a big deal either way you will just want to be careful not to deform the rivet when setting it.

#4 ·
GSG , brings up a good point.....Make sure your booster is for 30-06 or you will beat the hell out of the gun....Since the rest of the gun is Izzy I would check the booster to make sure.....If it chambered 30-06 dummy's fine then it's the right barrel...But this could be a gun that someone tossed a 06 barrel in and sold it not knowing about the booster....A pic of the "front" of the booster would clear this up...HTH

#5 ·
Jim, let us know what state you are in, and there may be someone nearby who would be willing to help install the missing front stop. You should have that, though as stated the gun may run okay without it. Better for it to be in there, really. Not a hard installation, and GSG's suggested bucking tool is how I do it as well. It's not hard to do, and can be done cleanly so as to not mar the finish if careful. A little cold blue on the new rivet head and all will be fine!

#6 ·
In 30-06 you should be fine without the stops, my gun has neither front nor rear stops and worked perfectly until i swapped it to 54r that's when the stops become important for proper alignment of the round on the feedway. but in the long run it's probably better to have it especially if you're planning on changing to other calibers.

#7 ·
In 30-06 you should be fine without the stops, my gun has neither front nor rear stops and worked perfectly until i swapped it to 54r that's when the stops become important for proper alignment of the round on the feedway. but in the long run it's probably better to have it especially if you're planning on changing to other calibers.
No cart stops!...I guess it's possible ? ...I would not recommend it........Sounds like your talking feedway spacers.

#9 ·
Thanks, all. It has the correct booster.

Does anyone have a photo of the front stop prior to install?

I'm in NW of Chicago.

#10 ·

I'm in NW of Chicago.

Here's a picture of the .30 caliber setup.

I would recommend finding one of the short round stops that attaches with a screw as the quick and dirty fix if you are going to only shoot .30.

Pictures/drawings of the various front stops can be found at the "casings" tab at m1919tech.com

#11 ·

I'm in NW of Chicago.

Shoot me an email, I am close to you in NW burbs of chicago. I can help with the front cart stop and show you a bunch of setup tricks and how to headspace it easily

Troy
barrelxchange@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.