1919 A4 Forums banner

8mm Conversion Kit for 1919a4

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  jmann 
#1 ·
I have stumbled upon a fairly large amount of 8mm ammo for, if my math is correct, 15 cents a round. I remember seeing some 1919's set up for 8mm but I havent been able to find any let alone the conversion kit. Does anyone know where I might find parts?

#2 ·
8MM Converstion

You will only need a few parts, some easier to obtain than others. Booster for 8MM, a front cartridge guide, and the most difficult at this time is the 8MM barrel. 30calmachinegunner can modify a 308 booster and cartridge stop for you, but 8MM barrels are a problem. Lucky#13, a few others, and myself have tried to get a run made without success. Barrel companies do not want small runs. :( Post a "wanted to buy" thread and possibly obtain one that way.

#3 ·
I believe the 8mm will use the standard 30-06 booster without any mods needed to it. Search the classified section as I think someone had a 8mm barrel for sale there a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it sold or not. I have one that I picked up last year that I plan on turning down to fit the 1917a1.

#4 ·
Watch the FS ads here as they pop up from time to time. That's where I found my 8mm barrel and cartridge guide.

All you need is the 8mm barrel and 8mm modified cartridge guide, which is usually a modified Izzy .308 guide. That and you'll need a 30-06 booster which works fine with 8mm. I use a 30-06 booster/flash hider (I like the looks of it) for my 8mm setup. You can use Izzy links with 8mm.

Some of the 8mm barrels work best with Romy 8mm....something to consider depending on the ammo you plan on using.

#9 ·
you'll spend more $$ on a 54R conversion. than on a 8mm conversion, as it only requires a barrel and front cart stop..plus maybe a booster as well..if you don't have a 06 opening..to start.. but I'd agree the ammo in the long run is cheaper.. today and usually newer production dates with 54R. vs 8MM.. The other option is to run the Korean 30-06 ammo.. it is getting cheaper as a larger shipment came into the country.. B2B

#10 ·
Sources for 8mm parts

x2 on John M. I had mine built by him, and 8mm was the preferred chambering. I have the 30.06 and .308 setups that I got from him at the same time, he may have some options if you need to buy the barrel, stop, etc.

Where in gods green earth did you find any 8mm at 15 a round? Cheapest I've seen is J&G in Prescott, at 31 cents for Persian berdan corrosive surplus that could be anywhere from the 30s to 50s manufacture. I'm always on the lookout for 8mm, as my M53 and M1919 are both chambered for it currently.

Glenn in Tucson

#12 ·
x2 on John M. I had mine built by him, and 8mm was the preferred chambering. I have the 30.06 and .308 setups that I got from him at the same time, he may have some options if you need to buy the barrel, stop, etc.

Where in gods green earth did you find any 8mm at 15 a round? Cheapest I've seen is J&G in Prescott, at 31 cents for Persian berdan corrosive surplus that could be anywhere from the 30s to 50s manufacture. I'm always on the lookout for 8mm, as my M53 and M1919 are both chambered for it currently.

Glenn in Tucson
My gunsmith unfortunatly had open heart surgery and offered 7k+ 8mm rounds to me before he put them online. I told him he could get more on an online auction but he said he needed the money yesterday. It was just a deal that fell into my lap.

#13 ·
My gunsmith unfortunatly had open heart surgery and offered 7k+ 8mm rounds to me before he put them online. I told him he could get more on an online auction but he said he needed the money yesterday. It was just a deal that fell into my lap.
Yah. Mixed blessing. With that quantity, you might be able to trade that amount of 8mm to someone who could provide a different caliber of 30.06 or 7.62 x54r. I did find a slightly lower price, but......Samco Global has persian as cheap as 26 per, but 1000 round crate + 70lbs shipping each, and the picture has them looking pretty dirty - may have been waterlogged at some point. Dunno if anyone has given it a whirl in a 1919, but I'd think you'd have to tumble or hand polish a lot of them (And yes, I know that "tumbling breaks down powder" but I'm also aware that milspec ammo was often treated with less than a gentle touch being transported around, it can't be that damn fragile!)

Best of luck!

Glenn

#14 ·
Even still, 7-8K rounds is only a few years supply! How long do you intend to have and shoot the 1919. I go though 1000 to 1,500 every trip to the range with it. If you even go 2x a year your ammo won't last that long. I agree with glassmountains - sell the 8mm for a profit, then buy 2x as much 54R.

#15 ·
Even still, 7-8K rounds is only a few years supply! How long do you intend to have and shoot the 1919. I go though 1000 to 1,500 every trip to the range with it. If you even go 2x a year your ammo won't last that long. I agree with glassmountains - sell the 8mm for a profit, then buy 2x as much 54R.
I have the 54r conversion but it would be a good thing to hold onto. Maybe even 8mm price goes down. There is too much uncertainty in the gun world to not use a little money to purchase an 8mm conversion. If 8mm goes up even more Ill sell it. METTC.

#16 ·
If I were you I'd sell the 8mm for .30 and buy twice as much 54R. No barrel worries w/54R as the izzy .308 barrels are rechambered.
Thats what I would do. Sell the 8mm to someone who needs it for their specific gun. Guys shooting some german mg's need the 8mm and you can put the proceeds toward a 54r conversion or something else that is more sustainable, or at least still being loaded around the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.