Thread: Metal imi links vs usgi links

Metal imi links vs usgi links

I am new to this and just getting started. I have started linking imi links on a ohio ordinance linker and they work fine but seem loose and the cartridge are spaced apart more than some of the factory linked ammo i purchased. I tried linking some usgi links in the cardbord sleaves i purchsed on the same linker and they really tighten up when pressed should i be concerned? They look just like the originals when you are done pressing. Any feed back would be great. Thanks matt.

USGI links were designed for 30.06 ammo. Izzie links were designed for 7.62 NATO (.308 Win) ammo. 30.06 ammo loaded into Izzie links are a little loose, but it will work. .308 ammo loaded into USGI links is very, very, tight and may not work.
    "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."
    – Bill Clinton

What caliber ammo are you using? 30-06,then all should be fine.
    If its 8mm or 7.62x51/308 the USGI links will be to tight.
    P.S. Posting photos would help Most of the time when asking ????

For a little reading on fabric belts and metalic links try http://m1919tech.com/26513.html
    "Fat's all right as long as its not from the neck up" Major General Hunter Liggett circa 1919"
    Looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary, right between SHIT and SYPHILIS" ...... Tom Jisa.... (My father-in-law) circa 1965.. or, if you prefer the more classical......Manus haec inimica tyrannis Einse petit placidam cum liberate quitem. (This hand, enemy to tyrants, By the sword seeks calm peacefulness with liberty)... Algernon Sidney.. (British patriot) circa 1665...

Another point is that belt loaders wont work with links unless heavily modified, and the correct link must be used in the linking machines. As noted by others, the links are different between 30 cal, 7.62, and 303 British . If anyone hase 303 links they want to get rid of, let me know.

Another consideration in this whole thing is that the USGI and the IMI links are at a different pitch with the IMI links being .047" greater than the USGI links. Doesn't sound like much but when you mulitiply that kind of difference over 15 cartridges it amounts to .705" which is the reason that we make 2 different plates, one for USGI links and one for IMI links. Just my observations. The 1917/1919 is a tremendous design and digests both equally well.
    http://beltfedplus.com is a supplier of manuals including FMs, TMs and Ordnance Field Serivce BSD books. Manufacturer of custom Link Loading Adaptor Plates for the M7 .50 cal. and the M4 20mm Link Loaders.
    BeltFedPlus
    P.O. Box 1725
    Blairsville, GA 30514-1725

I just picked up some Browning 1919 links stamped 'DAO'. I believe these are USGI, but I'm not sure. I cannot find any links stamped with Hebrew characters in this bunch, just 'DAO'. Can someone let me know if I am right or wrong?
    – Bill Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by MG34_Dan View Post
    I just picked up some Browning 1919 links stamped 'DAO'. I believe these are USGI, but I'm not sure. I cannot find any links stamped with Hebrew characters in this bunch, just 'DAO'. Can someone let me know if I am right or wrong?
    Might be DAQ Dominion Arsenal Quebec .30 Cal . Usually Izzy links are stamped TZ reports of TZZ and IM/IMI I have not personally seen these other than the DAQ.
    "Fat's all right as long as its not from the neck up" Major General Hunter Liggett circa 1919"
    Looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary, right between SHIT and SYPHILIS" ...... Tom Jisa.... (My father-in-law) circa 1965.. or, if you prefer the more classical......Manus haec inimica tyrannis Einse petit placidam cum liberate quitem. (This hand, enemy to tyrants, By the sword seeks calm peacefulness with liberty)... Algernon Sidney.. (British patriot) circa 1665...

Quote Originally Posted by kkkriverrats View Post
    Might be DAQ Dominion Arsenal Quebec .30 Cal . Usually Izzy links are stamped TZ reports of TZZ and IM/IMI I have not personally seen these other than the DAQ.
    Yep, they read 'DAQ' not 'DAO'. Were these made for 30.06 or .308 ammo?

PS: I emailed Dolf last evening asking for his assistance and he forwarded my information to Jean-Francois Legendre. Jean-Francois responded with detailed pictures and identified the links as Canadian manufactured Post-WWII 30.06.
    – Bill Clinton