Thread: Mortar Cups Are They Legal to Own?

Mortar Cups Are They Legal to Own?

Are mortar cups without tubes legal to own and sell. If the answer is yes, are there any rules or federal regulations associated with selling them?

A threaded mortar cup with a firing pin (at least the hole) is a title one firearm subject to the same rules and regs as a rifle or shotgun. I think just having threads makes it title one but I can't say with any certainty

amish-bob is correct. If you want to build a mortar there is a way to do that. Is it a US 60mm or 81mm?

Quote Originally Posted by glassmountains View Post
    amish-bob is correct. If you want to build a mortar there is a way to do that. Is it a US 60mm or 81mm?

Likely a British ML 3" (76mm) Mortar MKII Cup with thread hole inside for a striker, probably WWII vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by glassmountains View Post
    Yes, a form 1 should be filled out and received back before you commence the build. I was told a cup or firing pin by itself was ok, but if you have both in your possession you had better have your paperwork in hand. This may not still hold true.
    I'm building mine into a black powder cannon so to avoid all that paperwork. I need to get my DOM tube and a cannon lock, the tube I have now is a dummy made from PVC.
    CaptMax
    "Most respect the badge, they all respect the gun" - Robert De Nero in the movie Righteous Kills