Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home made Carpenter/boring/bumble bee trap

Home made Carpenter/boring/bumble bee trap

After doing some web surfing, I ran across the plans to make a bumble bee trap (we call'em bumble bees, but they are carpenter bees). You know the pesky little critters that like to bore holes in your deck, barns, fascia boards etc.

Anyway, my students made them out of whatever scrap they could find can find. So far two have caught 13 in two days in just two traps. I am going to fill my property up with these beauties!

Joshua 24:15

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve;..... but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Can you please share the plans for this....I have been fighting these sons of bitches for many years now and this time of year they are fighting each other for the the chance to chew up my wood...I am tired of getting buzzed when I walk into the middle of there Donnybrook.
    I would rather have it, and not need it, Then need it, and not have it!

Do you have a link to the plans. Those bees can knock out a 3/8 hole in a board in no time. And even good industrial wasp and hornet spray wont knock them down fast. You can spray there bore hole full and they will come out and fly away.
    They say idle hands do the devils work , so what's my excuse ?

I smack the damn things with my hat or hand out of the air when they buzz me. You piss em off and they chase you around. I am with you gunner these little critters suck!
    Co-Owner
    K&R Armory LLC
    Midsouth Movie Armory LLC
    07 FFL
    Specializing in HK and Browning Platforms
    Movies and TV shows

http://www.youtube.com/CNKILLERCLOWN

"A man has not seen the end of war until he has experienced DEATH" - [plato]..

There are not really any "Plans" per se, what I have made is the conglomeration of several designs. From what I gather, so long as the design incorporates a 1/2 diameter hole drilled at an upward angle, and a top that overhangs the holes, you should be good. I use the bottle design from the attached you tube video. There are other styles, but this was easy.

These are made out of 1x6 lumber cut 6 inches long. The tops are all random sizes, just so long as they overhang the hole. you can't use treated lumber either.
    You can make these things in 10 minutes flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5ExhmaZA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20DNKOw5Hw4
    Joshua 24:15

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve;..... but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyes Of Death View Post
    Do you have a link to the plans. Those bees can knock out a 3/8 hole in a board in no time. And even good industrial wasp and hornet spray wont knock them down fast. You can spray there bore hole full and they will come out and fly away.
    No shit!..I used to have a wooden carport that I kept my Camaro under....One day I came out and found that the car was sprinkled in sawdust....I looked up to see a steady stream of sawdust flowing from a hole..You could here them grinding away at the wood....So I took a caulking gun full of liquid nail and jammed it into the hole and started to crank on the trigger..It took at least half the tube of LN to get backwash and that was only one hole..I brushed off the sawdust from the Camaro....A few days later it was covered in sawdust again...They started another hole but this time they was shitting there wax all over my car....I almost started a thread asking how to stop this.
    I would rather have it, and not need it, Then need it, and not have it!

been battling these buggers on my back stairs for years, I have filled their holes with raid and a couple days later new ones push the dead bodies out the holes and start boring again, I have filled their holes with borax as well same deal.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Thank you for posting. I know what I am doing tonight.

I kill them using an aerosol can of brake clean. One quick shot and they drop dead instantly, works better than commercial bug killers.

I use a .22 bolt gun with shot shells, makes it alot more fun than emptying a plastic jug.
    WTB: The Machine Gun, Volumn 5 by Lt Col. George Chinn"
    Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
    Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post.
    God and Obama have one thing in common.... Neither of them have a birth certificate.