Thread: DIY Water Well Drilling

DIY Water Well Drilling

Has anyone on the board considered or actually drilled their own water well, using equipment such as the Hydra-Drill sold by Deep-Rock Manufacturing, 2200 Anderson Rd., Opelika, AL 36802 (http://www.deeprock.com/HD/Default.aspx)? I'm interested in your experience, especially if you had problems like drilling through granite, losing bits or casings, low output from having to use a 2"-diameter well with a jet pump... while a commercial driller would probably give you a 6" wide hole which would enable the use of a submersible pump.

Carry On!
    Gary
    ><>
    -- "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry. (Shakespeare was right!)

-- The Law IS the law -- Unless You ARE The Law.

Quote Originally Posted by GWR1 View Post
    Has anyone on the board considered or actually drilled their own water well, using equipment such as the Hydra-Drill sold by Deep-Rock Manufacturing, 2200 Anderson Rd., Opelika, AL 36802 (http://www.deeprock.com/HD/Default.aspx)? I'm interested in your experience, especially if you had problems like drilling through granite, losing bits or casings, low output from having to use a 2"-diameter well with a jet pump... while a commercial driller would probably give you a 6" wide hole which would enable the use of a submersible pump.

Carry On!
    Gary
    ><>
    I wonder what those cost... I didn't see any pricing on the site (I hate that). I would like a well on my property (for irrigation) but they are not allowed in my zoning/area.

Richard

Good looking little rigs , the granite is going to be a problem even with Tungsten Carbide Drag cutters it is a headache with diamond Crusher bits , it is going to depend on your local stratigraphic subsurface structure . I looked at the battlefield geology and it is complex depending on where you are from the park in what direction .

I have enlisted a Dowser a number of time with 100% success ,the last well i will ever drill was for this house it was a "sand point" water jet well ,my Dowser showed me the "sweet " water spot and about 17' down i hit limestone and hand cut to 21' into the lime stone so i have filtered "hard water" (carbonate ) that is literally sweet to the taste . I have neighbors who are deeper and they have both iron and sulphate water problems .

You had better do some research into what is under you before you decide to drill if possible i would be going for shallow water rather than deep for this reason . I would be asking neighbors their depth, checking with the county extension and Fed soil conservation and looking for hydrological maps and geological stratigraphic maps of your area , i very much Doubt any local driller will share his logs with you .

If i can i will help you figure it out ,i have worked about every way to put a hole in the ground there is from small scale like you are proposing to Very large and Very Deep .

PM me if you would like to talk about it .

I helped a friend build a copy of that machine using a power auger, I did all of the machining he did all of the welding and fab work, copied almost exactly, bought the rubber fluid coupling from them, he even welded up his own bits and used a braze on hard surface rod to make them last, he says it works great but I never got to see it run.