1919 A4 Forums banner

Op rod questions!!??

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  47lincsled 
#1 ·
I was having problems with my Garand feeding properly so I tore it down to give it a good cleaning,as I was wiping down the op rod I could feel a dip in it,so I laid a straight edge on it and it's not straight at all,there is about a 1/4 bow in it! Is the op rod supposed to be perfectly straight?

#2 ·
I am sure others will chime in with a better explaination but in examining the only op rod I have not assembled to a gun and apparently an unused replacement rod. When measured from the side it is pretty much straight When measured from the bottom it seems to bend upward toward the front. This is probably to make it fit the gas cylinder. Also about four inched from the end it appears to dip down again a little . That would be the area that would go into the gas cylinder.

#3 ·
op rod

After a good scrubbing and lubing it feeds like new,there was a lot of build up on the gas rod,at the piston end, and some grit in the feed ways, it's been a while since I had it tore all the way down for a cleaning, I never notice the wowy on the op rod before!

#7 ·
Garand wanted to use a straight rod , he knew the bend might be a kink in the design . ( pun intended ) He would have had to drop the gas cylinder down which would have led to a new bayonet in inventory as the 1905 would not have fit . The powers that were , said no .
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.