Honady 50 bmg A-Max ammo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honady 50 bmg A-Max ammo

Honady 50 bmg A-Max ammo

Does anyone out there know how the Hornady brand A-Max 50 bmg rounds cycle in a semi auto rifle (Barrett, Serbu) and if there are any issues or problems? Any info would be most appreciated. Thank you.

stingray656667

Dont know about current production AMAX ammo, but 7 or 8 years ago we did a shoot with the guys at Hornady for fun, including some gun writers. they wanted to shoot the M2HB ( Real FA WWII High Standard) and the 82A1. Hornady supplied the ammo for the shoot, and they arrived with AMAX ammo to link up . the rate of fire was noticeably higher with the AMAX compared to the USGI ball I brought. Ran fine in both guns.

DSC06044.JPG

PS: I had 1-1/2 cans of the AMAX left and they just gave it to me. It is still up in the shop somewhere. Nice ammo, I can't afford to buy the projectiles ......
    Last edited by MG08; 08-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.

I believe they load to fit into semi auto mags, which would be 5.45". Any longer and it won't fit and will have to be single loaded.

The other thing that you need to remember is that the AMAX is a BIG bullet. And when pushed down that far into the case can cause pressure issues. If you reload them start out lower and work up.

The factory stuff should be fine in your rifle, just watch for any pressure signs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

A-Max

Thank you very much for the replies. My range will only allow me to shoot rounds that do not have a steel core and are non-magnetic. The A-max bullet is the only lead core/ballistic aluminum tip round that I can find. I understand that the ball ammo that is out there (M33 loaded by various manufacturers) still has a mild steel core which is why it's magnetic. The only other stuff that might work for range compliance is the PMC X-Tac ammo with a bronze bullet as this would also be non-magnetic. Thanks for the help.

stingray656667

You could always roll your own. Barnes tsx bullet would be another option, plus it could double as a t-rex hunting round.

All joking aside, I have some loaded up for hog hunting.

Runs Great

I shot the some amax I bought this year in a Serbu BFG50a semi auto I got late last year. Ran great and was very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Shooter View Post
    I believe they load to fit into semi auto mags, which would be 5.45". Any longer and it won't fit and will have to be single loaded.

The other thing that you need to remember is that the AMAX is a BIG bullet. And when pushed down that far into the case can cause pressure issues. If you reload them start out lower and work up.

The factory stuff should be fine in your rifle, just watch for any pressure signs.
    Loaded some of these 800 gr. Hornady projo's. Yes...they are longer and must be seated deeper if used in a semi or belt fed. Loaded all mine for an FA M2HB....but too expensive to shoot that way..LOL. Only shoot them sparingly in a State Arms bolt gun.

Amax are not 800 Gr. they are 750 Gr. !! I just checked their 2016 catalog it states 750 Gr. FWIW

Hornady Amax bullets

These have more than doubled in price over the years that I've been loading them. Think there are still a few empty boxes marked $19.99 sitting on a shelf. Current Midway price is $48.99 for twenty 750 grains projectiles.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...tail-box-of-20
    I'll patiently re-size and trim brass, re-prime, charge w powder, and seat bullets.

...earlier ones...

Quote Originally Posted by belt fed frog View Post
    Amax are not 800 Gr. they are 750 Gr. !! I just checked their 2016 catalog it states 750 Gr. FWIW
    Loaded in 2001,there were 2-bullet weights...750 gr and 800 gr. Apparently,they dropped the 800 gr from their line...? I remember because that was the heaviest .50 BMG bullet I ever loaded...and the most expensive...!!