Honady 50 bmg A-Max ammo - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honady 50 bmg A-Max ammo

Quote Originally Posted by L999here View Post
    Loaded in 2001,there were 2-bullet weights...750 gr and 800 gr. Apparently,they dropped the 800 gr from their line...? I remember because that was the heaviest .50 BMG bullet I ever loaded...and the most expensive...!!

Heaviest iI have loaded up so far is a spotter tracer which is something like 820 grains. Those are a hoot to shoot, we need some rain so that I can go play with the 50 without worrying about fires.

I really wish the A-Max wasn't so expensive I'd love to shoot that compared to API.

2. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

50 bmg Hornady A-Max

Quote Originally Posted by jbosma View Post
    I shot the some amax I bought this year in a Serbu BFG50a semi auto I got late last year. Ran great and was very accurate.
    Does your BFG 50A have a preference for other types of ammo commonly available? Most of what I come across is Lake City manufacture M33 ball ammo usually with an '09 or later production date and sold either linked or in lots of 100 rounds. Other commonly found ammo is PMC Bronze ball ammo or the PMC X-Tac ammo with brass projectiles. Have you run any such ammo through your Serbu and, if so, how did these other rounds function? I haven't bought a 50 cal yet but I'm leaning towards the Serbu because I like the gas operated design of the action as opposed to the recoil operated action of the Barrett. The Serbu also doesn't need to be broken down in order to store it in its case and it's lighter than the Barrett. Thanks.

stingray656667

There really is no comparison between surplus bullets and AMAX or any other match grade bullets. Especially if you plan on shooting to extreme ranges.

You'll find this out as you get more familiar with your rifle and start shooting at longer ranges. AP projos were considered the best to use out of all surplus rounds due to the way they were made.

You need to start reloading to get the best results, keep costs down and accuracy up. There are more choices in bullet options also, the AMAX is a good bullet but there are better. Plus your rifle might like a different type of bullet then an AMAX.

These Leigh 650 gr. solids are the closest you can get to a ball M33 projectile. They are fairly cheap as non magnetic bullets go. My M2 and BFG50 both like them.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collect...ant=1073831204

Just a note, I started a fire with AMAX projectiles. So no projectile is totally safe, even non magnetic stuff.

I might have to try out some of these controlled fracturing bullets on the pumpkins next Halloween. I used some frangibles a few year back expecting destruction and just got clean holes. I wonder if they will stay together above sub sonic to clear the brake. http://www.lehighdefense.com/collect...g-725gr-bullet

DRH,
    How do they hold the bullets in place on the frangible bullets. If it's not secure it's going to cause all kinds of problems right from the start.

Guess I might have to go to their website and check them out, very interesting looking bullet.

???

Are they a armor piecing round ??

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Shooter View Post
    DRH,
    How do they hold the bullets in place on the frangible bullets. If it's not secure it's going to cause all kinds of problems right from the start.

Guess I might have to go to their website and check them out, very interesting looking bullet.
    I have not tried the controlled fracturing bullets yet. It looks like the inner bullet is just pressed in. They are advertised as sub sonic and I was worried about expansion before the brake as I was going to used them at supersonic speeds. It says that they are machined from solid bar stock so they should hold together. The other frangible bullets, I had previously tried were the 600 Gr. round nose ones from poly gun bags, they were good for no ricochets but did not disintegrate to transfer energy well and just made holes. The Leigh close quarter bullet also looks cool for expansion, but the weight is awful low. I might get some of those for pumpkin blasting also.

9. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements