Imbel receiver on british kit?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imbel receiver on british kit?

Imbel receiver on british kit?

This summer when I had a little extra money I stopped by my local pawn shop,he had a very nice FN FAL with a Imbel receiver built using a British lower, and most other parts as far as I could tell,I've spent all night trying to find identities of all the different pieces,I'm seeing broad arrows and BSA marks,plus crown markings,I couldn't find anything on the barrel itself,but it's not threaded for a muzzle brake and it doesn't have the rings for a bipod. The gun runs great! But it has that ugly black furniture,I want wood! I assume it is a inch pattern rifle,although it used metric mags,a common thing with these guns I've been learning. I buy a lot of projects for winter when it's too cold to play outside in my man cave,I want to sand down the lower and get rid of the tacky black paint,haven't decided if I want to go blue or park,either would be better then that tacky paint! I also want to replace the plastic with wood but I'm having award time figuring which wood set is going to work with the set up,I think the L1A1 parts should fit, as far as I can tell.
    So any insight into my questions would be greatly appreciated. Will the wood L1A1 furniture fit the gun? And has anyone tried the L4A3 LMG mags in a Imbel upper that take metric mags? I would love to get a couple of 30 round mags but most of the aftermarkets out there don't have a very good reputation.
    Ant other thought about this would be greatly appreciated!

I'd suggest a few pics on FALFILES forum would get all your queries answered.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

I 2nd Karl's suggestion. Near original inch guns -- most FALs in the US have replacement receivers -- are on the higher end of FAL collectability. I've gotten into FALs over the past few years and post to the FALFiles frequently. There is a lot of knowledge on the board. In general, FAL collectors are all about as "original" as possible. I only mention this because replacing original furniture or finish can decrease the desirability if retaining value is your goal.
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    ? Douglas MacArthur

4. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

Hopefully Abominog will chime in on this thread he is our resident FAL expert. HE is in Hawaii on business but I am sure he will spot this if he logs on. I love the FN FAL's they are great shooters and I prefer 7.62 x 51 for a battle rifle.
    You are never too old to learn something stupid
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
    Ars Longa Vita Brevis

Fal

I'm not too worried about it's collectiblity, since it was built with an Imbel receiver I have to assume it's collector value is gone. I had another one about 20 years ago but could never get it to cycle properly so I sold it and regretted it ever since.
    It's actually fine the way it is,I just prefer the look of wood on my rifle,my fist battle rifle was a Garand,that might have something to do with it.

Don't assume an Imbel receiver means it has no collectable value. 99% of all FALs are on replacement receivers and some inch parts kit can run north of $1000. To be blunt, please don't f-up a rare inch kit (if it is one). I have a mix-master metric rifle to trade if you want to bubbazize an FAL.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lincsled View Post
    I'm not too worried about it's collectiblity, since it was built with an Imbel receiver I have to assume it's collector value is gone. I had another one about 20 years ago but could never get it to cycle properly so I sold it and regretted it ever since.
    It's actually fine the way it is,I just prefer the look of wood on my rifle,my fist battle rifle was a Garand,that might have something to do with it.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    ? Douglas MacArthur

What's the receiver marked? Is it a gear logo? Or a CAI built Imbel? CAI used some Imbel receivers and a mesh of parts. The Imbel receivers command a premium now days for the gear logo and less for CAI marked, same receiver just "tarnished" with CAI. If it's a Century gun it's worth about $6-700, more when parted out. Pics would help a lot.
    07FFL/02SOT
    We Buy Machine Guns

DSA 30rd aren't bad. The Imbel uppers are Metric cut so they only take Metric mags. Inch receivers will take both but Metric are loose. I know a bit about the FAL, not an expert but will lend my knowledge happily.
    07FFL/02SOT
    We Buy Machine Guns

pictures

I knew last night when I posted this that I should have put some pictures up,but it was midnight and was ready to go to bed! But here are a couple. The carry handle is wood painted black,the rest is black plastic.
    When did the Brits go to plastic stocks? If I go with wood it shouldn't require any modification to install should it? If so then I wouldn't bother,I was assuming it's a direct fit.

That is a mash of parts. Mostly Aussie and Brit inch, some Metric. Top dollar is $700 and that's top. That receiver would bring $400ish the "kit" about the same depending on this and that. Most of the inch and Metric stuff interchanges-ish. You would be better served with inch furniture. And feel lucky you got one that runs "correctly"
    07FFL/02SOT
    We Buy Machine Guns