Imbel receiver on british kit? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Imbel receiver on british kit?

L1a1

Thanks for the info,I don't feel too bad about mucking it up! I did OK on the price as well,I only gave $700 out the door,plus it came with 6 very clean mags, and all of them work as well,that's the first thing I checked, I grabbed an assortment of different ammo,everything from fresh factory hunting rounds to dirty LC stuff,got great groups and had no problem hitting a man sized target at 500 yards!

My CAI came with STG 58 fore end and an R1 South African lower ,i had to swap the R1 lower out to change furniture because it is unlike any other FAL lower

FWIW

Fal

Sounds like CAI buys big boxes of parts from wherever and just throws whatever is next on the gun! I guess as long as it works and you aren't looking for a museum piece it's OK.
    Any place better then another for buying a stock set,cheapest I can find on GB is $175 for everything? Doesn't seem to as much out there no days.

4. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

Post a WTB ad in the FALFiles Marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lincsled View Post
    Sounds like CAI buys big boxes of parts from wherever and just throws whatever is next on the gun! I guess as long as it works and you aren't looking for a museum piece it's OK.
    Any place better then another for buying a stock set,cheapest I can find on GB is $175 for everything? Doesn't seem to as much out there no days.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    Douglas MacArthur

As you can tell CAI is the kiss of death for value on a FAL...

Bit of a gloat here. I got one for cheap, trade at a gun show. Tore it down, sold the receiver on GB for a few hundred, then bought a few parts to make it all L1A1 and got the correct receiver from Coonan. I now have a nice high value L1A1. In other words, if you are after value, this could be a great parts kit. In my case, its still a shooter, but i had fun getting it built right.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

Century built a BUNCH of FALs using L1A1 parts and anything else they had laying around. The ones with a bare muzzle like your typically had the British flash suppressor cut off. Sometimes you can see a divot where the retaining washer fit.
    Some of those receivers were cut for Inch magazines. Most were just cut for metric. Easy to tell by looking to see if the inside of the magazine well has a large recess instead of a small half-moon cut that fits the metric magazine.
    British barrels are very high quality just like almost all FAL barrels. Some have chromed bores and chambers.

Wood furniture should fit without any problems. The British went to plastic as it is stronger, lighter, and impervious to bad weather.

There is a huge wealth of information on these rifles on FALFiles.com. Just like here, check out the stickies for useful information.
    If it had not been for all of the dirty tricks during the competition to replace the Garand, we probably would have had the T-48 FAL or Armalite AR10 instead of the M-14.

There are a number of FALholics that rescue CAI mixmasters. I'm one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1gewehr View Post
    Century built a BUNCH of FALs using L1A1 parts and anything else they had laying around. The ones with a bare muzzle like your typically had the British flash suppressor cut off. Sometimes you can see a divot where the retaining washer fit.
    Some of those receivers were cut for Inch magazines. Most were just cut for metric. Easy to tell by looking to see if the inside of the magazine well has a large recess instead of a small half-moon cut that fits the metric magazine.
    British barrels are very high quality just like almost all FAL barrels. Some have chromed bores and chambers.

Wood furniture should fit without any problems. The British went to plastic as it is stronger, lighter, and impervious to bad weather.

There is a huge wealth of information on these rifles on FALFiles.com. Just like here, check out the stickies for useful information.
    If it had not been for all of the dirty tricks during the competition to replace the Garand, we probably would have had the T-48 FAL or Armalite AR10 instead of the M-14.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    Douglas MacArthur

Fal

I just bought it because I knew they were great rifles and it never hurts to have another real battle rifle,especially since I already have lots of .308 laying around for the M14,the 1919 and my Ishapore SMLE which I turned into a jungle carbine.
    And now that I know that it's not worth any more then I gave for it I don't feel bad in back dating it.
    The stock set I'm buying came with a flash hider,not sure how I'm going to attach it,might have to find a die and thread the end of the barrel. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it!

Quote Originally Posted by 47lincsled View Post
    The stock set I'm buying came with a flash hider,not sure how I'm going to attach it,might have to find a die and thread the end of the barrel. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it!
    Don't use a die!!!!! There are many good smiths who can put the proper thread on the barrel at reasonable cost. Do it right and you will never regret it. A die will not get the threads concentric to the bore no matter how good you are. And good barrel threading will expand your options (Suppressor? Different flash suppressor?).

Quote Originally Posted by 1gewehr View Post
    Don't use a die!!!!! There are many good smiths who can put the proper thread on the barrel at reasonable cost. Do it right and you will never regret it. A die will not get the threads concentric to the bore no matter how good you are. And good barrel threading will expand your options (Suppressor? Different flash suppressor?).
    good advice here. You got to mount between centers and cut the thread. Can't go by the barrel OD
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I am armed.)