WANTED: BREN MKI M-Marked Sight Cam for Use w/ MK4 Barrel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: BREN MKI M-Marked Sight Cam for Use w/ MK4 Barrel

WANTED: BREN MKI M-Marked Sight Cam for Use w/ MK4 Barrel

I'm searching for a BREN MKI sight cam with an "M" mark. The M-marked cams allow the MKI sight to be zeroed with the shorter MK4 barrel. Below is a picture of a regular BREN MKI sight cam for the full length barrel. My "M" is on the cam.

I understand these were used in South Africa and perhaps India.

Any help is appreciated.

Bren 3-1 cam.jpg
    Last edited by OldSoldier; 03-18-2017 at 07:08 AM.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    Douglas MacArthur

The MkIV barrels were made in India as we'll as in GB. I acquired several many years ago when they were available in th US and a couple are Enfield marked and the others, I believe, made at Ishapor Arsenal under Brit supervision.
    I have a lot of Bren parts and will look for some sights and check for the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg17a1 View Post
    The MkIV barrels were made in India as we'll as in GB. I acquired several many years ago when they were available in th US and a couple are Enfield marked and the others, I believe, made at Ishapor Arsenal under Brit supervision.
    I have a lot of Bren parts and will look for some sights and check for the mark.
    Many thanks! In my thinking, the cam for the MK4 barrel raises the barrel less so the cam is therefore "smaller" in some dimensions than the normal cam for the MK1 (or MK2) barrel. This sort of makes sense because of the shorter sight radius requires less deflection. Does this make sense?
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    Douglas MacArthur

4. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to say that the cams that I have do not have the M marking. When one shows up it will be interesting to see the difference from the standard cam.
    Good luck finding one.

Thanks for looking. I might have the outline of the correct cam shape for a MK4 barrel coming ---- I'll see. Thanks again.
    Douglas MacArthur

Where have you found your info on there being a modified cam for the Mk1? As far as I'm aware the Mkiv barrel was designed so that it had no impact on the sighting of any other gun. The barrel is supposed to be interchangeable between gun marks. You can fit a Mk2 barrel to a Mk1 gun with no mods and you can fit a Mk2 barrel to a Mk3 gun with no mods so there's no reason you couldn't fit a Mkiv barrel to a Mk1 gun and have it sight correctly. Are you sure the M isn't part of MC? Maybe a faint C?

Quote Originally Posted by brit plumber View Post
    Where have you found your info on there being a modified cam for the Mk1?
    Peter Laidler (https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=46390) said "It was IMPOSSIBLE to zero a Mk1 gun with a shorty Mk4 barrel because the graduations simply didn't equate to, well......., anything really, even on the Mk1 gun over about 400 yards. You muddied the waters even further by shortening the sight radius. Yep......., I know the Indians did it with their Mk 1/3 and all that....."

Kevin at info@bren-gun.com stated in a personal email, "it is possible to calibrate a MKI drum. It was done by the Indian and South Africans and was also worked out by Enfield for the 7.62mm L4A7 (which used a MKI reciever). This was done by modifying the cam which raises and lowers the sight arm.
    Pic attached (M stamp for modified)."

sa sight.jpg
    Last edited by OldSoldier; 05-01-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    Douglas MacArthur

I know both Peter and Kev well, What Peter is saying is that the Mk1 was difficult to sight in at the best of times and made worse by the short sight radius of the Mk4 barrel. In service the Mk4 was fitted to the Mk1 gun without modification. I believe there is an example in the BGS and the UK national firearms collection.

The cam Kev is referring to is the South African modified cam for the 7.62 gun and not the 303 gun. Fitting the 7.62 cam to a 303 gun is surely going to massively change the POI or else they would never have changed it in the first place. I have 2 of the SA Mk1 guns and 1 of the Mk2 guns. If you are desperate to try a modified cam, I'll see if my guns have them and if so, I'll swap you one for a standard cam.

Thank you for the valuable insights. I am always learning.

I was approaching this from the perspective that the MK4 barrel's 3.7 inch shorter sight radius than the MKI barrel requires about a 10 inch different point of aim at 500 yards -- assuming the gun with both barrels was zeroed at 200 yards.

What I have is a Bren similar to the picture on BGS page 173 of a transitional MKI* with a MK4 barrel and stock.
    Last edited by OldSoldier; 05-04-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    Douglas MacArthur

What may be useful is a SA foresight block. These blocks will fit a standard Mk2 and 4 barrel but can be adjusted in all directions to compensate. It is a screw with an off set pointer, so it can be screwed in or out for elevation and small turns moves the pointer left or right.