1919 A4 Forums banner

My Sarco band saw cut M1917A1 tripod set

8K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  Thompsongunner 
#1 ·
I received my "kit" from Sarco this past week. I went with the band saw cut socket set instead of the torch cut socket set. I am pleased with what I received. I'm saving about $1200 dollars going this route, instead of buying a complete non demilled setup. (Plus or minus depending on current market value) so if you are thinking about pulling the trigger on one, this is what to expect from the band cut demilled socket sets. Antique tool Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
More

More photos.

Attachments

#5 ·
Every time I see these demilled Tripods and Mounts...I think the perpetrators should be rounded up and punished for their "Post War Crimes." There'll be no Justice until the last one is hunted down...and tried.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6pFbxM7RrAU/hqdefault.jpg

TiredIron

#6 ·
You can thank Hitlery she had a big part in this back in '94 along with destroying some very rare tora tora mounts and true 1917 tripods! The word that comes to mind is Biotch

#8 ·
I received my "kit" from Sarco this past week. I went with the band saw cut socket set instead of the torch cut socket set. I am pleased with what I received. I'm saving about $1200 dollars going this route, instead of buying a complete non demilled setup. (Plus or minus depending on current market value) so if you are thinking about pulling the trigger on one, this is what to expect from the band cut demilled socket sets. View attachment 35017
Congrats on your purchase. It will be a sweet setup once completed.

#9 ·
Progress report

Progress ....

Attachments

#11 ·
Mock up of cradle

Parts came in, time to do some mock up and see how much welding needs to be done.

Attachments

#12 ·
Sarco has the Tripod Azimuth ring! In steel

I almost forgot to post this! Sarco has the Azimuth/ traverse ring with mils marked on it, made out of steel. These are nos steel azimuth rings for the M1917A1 tripod. I think it was only $25.
So a good filler for now until I can save my $s for one of toolmans brass rings. Sorry about the poor photo. I will get a better one up later.

Attachments

#41 ·
I almost forgot to post this! Sarco has the Azimuth/ traverse ring with mils marked on it, made out of steel. These are nos steel azimuth rings for the M1917A1 tripod. I think it was only $25.
So a good filler for now until I can save my $s for one of toolmans brass rings. Sorry about the poor photo. I will get a better one up later.
Those Azimuth rings are for an M74 tripod. I just bought a couple for my projects and one had the original wrapper. They have the correct inner diameter as the watercooled cradle will fit on the M74 tripod. Your best bet to make it correct is one of Toolmans repros. Very nice! Dan

#14 ·
I will

You know..... that is the one part I have not mocked up yet! Oh good grief....... yikes.... I hope I didn't jump the gun here.Thanks will get on that.

#16 ·
Photo of traverse ring.

Photos of the traverse ring from Sarco. Mounted of course. I have seen the same gap on wwi period photos of tripods. Either way it's getting used for now since it fits.

Attachments

#19 ·
Here is a photo of the gap from a vintage photo.

Here is a snapshot from page 6 of The Browning .30 Caliber Machine Guns by Tom Laemlein. I just want to show there is a visible gap on the brass traverse ring. These may have not been made for the tripods, but there is no doubt they just happen to fit.

Attachments

#21 ·
Here is a snapshot from page 6 of The Browning .30 Caliber Machine Guns by Tom Laemlein. I just want to show there is a visible gap on the brass traverse ring. These may have not been made for the tripods, but there is no doubt they just happen to fit.
The one in Tom's book is a WWI tripod socket, a 1917 as opposed to 1917A1. The 1917 pods have traverse stops, which is what the gap is there for. I don't have a good photo handy showing the stops, but will see about getting that. But here is the 1917 socket, which has the extra feature, the "hump" for the worm gear traverse mechanism. Some of these had the worm gear removed, and the pocket plugged. Some never had the mechanism installed, as it was considered to be of no value after a short time in service. Rare to find ANY 1917 pod, but even more rare when it retains the worm gear.

So take a look at your socket, and see if you have the hump, plugged or never opened. Also, it is my belief that some 1917 sockets have no hump, as production began before it was added, and then it was discontinued while pods were still being made. I swear I saw one like that: no hump, but the early azimuth ring with the gap for traverse stops. Wish I had realized the significance, but I did not at the time. It was just a mild puzzler to me, and now it's "the missing link!"

Here are 1917 and 1918 WWI tripods. Sadly, no worm gear in my example. Not that I have reason to complain much....

#20 ·
This is totally unrelated but I just noticed your tagline, "If you leave two US Army Privates in a locked room with two steel beams ...alone for a few hours. Come back to check on them, one steel beam will be broken...the other missing..and both Privates have zero clues as to what happened to the steel beams."

Before the PC days, we used to say that "you could put a soldier in a padded cell with a steel cannonball and they either lose it, break it, or sexually molest it." Times change; sayings change.

#22 ·
Duke. You did a really great job in cleaning up the sideplates of the cradle!

A few questions:

1) What grit media did you use? I'm assuming you sandblasted.

2) How rough it is now after blasting?

3) Is that bare metal or are they now parkerized?

4) Will you ultimately paint the sideplates or will you do something to try and get them back to a "factory" + "100 years of patina" look?

I have a new-to-me tripod that has rust so I'm considering options.

#23 ·
Very fine glass beads

I used very fine glass beads. I plan on blueing the cradle assembly. It was light grey parked originally. But I love the look of bluing on these pieces.

#27 ·
No worries

No problem at all.

#28 ·
Complete mock up

So the rear leg came in today. Here it is all mocked up. I could not help myself. Such a beautiful Symphony of brass, steel, straight lines and curves.

Attachments

#30 ·
Blueing the cradle side plates....

Here are updated photos of the cold blueing I'm using on the cradle side plates. I very happy with the results so far. I have some detail work to complete these, lightly oil em and they will be ready to go back together.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.