Safe door
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe door

Safe door

Recommend me a walk in safe door?
    Getting ready to build a walk in safe,any input is welcome!
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

We have bought 4 Mosler safe doors. We find them locally or as far a way as Florida. (we are in Texas). They usually come from old savings and loans or small banks. They cost about $1500/2500 but the kicker is the portage. The 42"x80" document(fire proof) doors are about 3000 lbs and the actual class 5 burglar proof doors are about 4500 lbs. They have good glass scale locks and relocks and are relatively cheap to re-do the turns. J

Before you get too far along in planning a walk-in vault in a residential zone consider having a chat with your local building official.

A friend who deals in antique military weapons wanted a vault under his new garage and shop. He was building a new home on a residential zoned lot and he got nothing but grief from the local building department because the space was below ground and had no secondary egress. He ended up putting in a window well at the base of the stairs and an open arch into the gun room for final inspection on the permits. Then he barred the window and installed the walk through safe door. Had he been in a commercial zone (and maybe an agricultural zone, not sure about that) the basement vault would not have been a problem.

From a structural standpoint the walk through door is the least of your problems. Designing and installing a wall, floor and ceiling system that is at least as entry resistant as the door can be an interesting exercise - especially if you are working with forced air heat/cooling and/or setting up a venting system that prevents the vault from becoming a suffocation hazard. Every penetration of the wall/floor/ceiling system becomes a potential weak spot that can be exploited for unauthorized entry.
    Last edited by xdevildog; 03-20-2017 at 09:58 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

Smith Security Safes. Highly recommend - completely customizable to your specs and great to work with. Also the widest vault doors that i have found.

As far as design goes, not sure why an inspector would care what kind of door went on what is essentially a closet. Egress issues are generally for bedrooms. If you think you have a wonky inspector, just install the door after you get your CO

http://m.smithsecuritysafes.com/?url...referrer=#2661

Kitty Litter safe. Unlimited supply of dog treats to boot!

Hah! You must have a dog like mine.

Guess I should have gave a few more details, no inspections will be needed, it's in an (out) building
    Planning on walls being 2x4 3/16 or 1/4 wall tubing,(steel) spaced 2 feet apart
    Outside will be 3/16-1/4 inch plates 4x8 sheets
    Inside will be 11 gauge in thinking maybe some type of fire board in between
    Any other ideas???
    Good or bad?
    Is it overkill?
    Size I'm thinking 20-24 feet long
    14-16 feet wide
    8 feet high

Thanks!!!

Well size wise I say not at all overkill. You never can have enough room. If you are going that size you might consider starting with 2 20' shipping containers, welding them together and cutting out the inner wall. I have a friend that makes fire training products and uses containers as the base, then insulates them and puts an outer layer of aluminum sheeting on. For the price of one time used containers he can't buy the steel to make his own.

Never thought of a shipping container!
    I'll check into that!

[QUOTE=frazer42;469361]Kitty Litter safe. Unlimited supply of dog treats to boot!

[/QUOTEI
    I have seen these, they are very nice and secure.

13. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements