Need some advice removing copper. Been using Hoppes No 9 not much success
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice removing copper. Been using Hoppes No 9 not much success

Question Need some advice removing copper. Been using Hoppes No 9 not much success

I got this used A4 30-06 barrel last year, I ran a new bore snake thru it twice and then shot 500 rounds down range with my DLO plate gun. I do not know the manufacture of the Ammo but it was berdan primed, I have had it for about 20 years and it ran fine. But I have been cleaning this thing for about 2 weeks, I started with the bore snake then went to hoppes NO 9 first patches came back black then all I got was green, all together about 40 patches I have let it sit over night a few times and the last time I let it sit for 3 days and this is what I got. Usually this would not be a big deal but I will not be shooting 06 in my near future. I am using a dewey 30cal cleaning rod with a brass tip.
    I have been using hoppes No. 9 for years now, maybe it is time for a change. What do you guys suggest for removing copper ?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    M.M.
    "IMG_5603.JPGIMG_5604.JPG

Sweets 762 bore cleaner of one of many foaming brushless bore cleaner..

I use Butch's Bore Shine. Seems to work but that is a stellite chambered barrel. The only one I have like that is an A6. J

4. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by frazer42 View Post
    I use Butch's Bore Shine. Seems to work but that is a stellite chambered barrel. The only one I have like that is an A6. J
    frazer42
    Is there a difference in cleaning a stellite chambered barrel for copper than a chrome lined one ?
    Thank you sir, M.M.

SLiP2000 has a good Copper Cutter too. That's what I use. I keep an inventory of their line just for gun show fodder... the once or so a year I actually set up at a gun show!
    coppercutter-group.jpg
    You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon- mostly up hill. Then, after a while, people going down the other road look up at you, and they call you "lucky."

Total Posts: 1615

www.1917a1.com

I dont know about the stellite other than it is a dissimilar metal to the rest of the barrel. Ive never shot mine and was wondering if the copper wash was coming from it, rather than the steel tube. J

I've had good results using montana x-treme copper killer.

Shooters Choice or GM top end cleaner or any of the copper solvents others mentioned.

let the chemical do the work. keep it wet and push a dry patch every 5 minutes. if the patch comes out blue, push a wet patch and try again in 5. Repeat till the patch comes out white. Then clean the barrel with clp or hoppies.

I agree with acquirermatt Very good most 50 BMG shooters (match ) use it , the foaming types works well but the hard core shooters use 26.5 baume Ammonium
    with a drop or two of Dawn dish detergent but this stuff Really works and Fast but very dangerous to work with and it eats brass brushes like candy most use SS brushes .

acquirermatt SEZ: "I've had good results using montana x-treme copper killer."

Thanks for that tip! Why haven't I heard of this before? It would've saved me lots of time with my milsurps. I've had barrels that never seem to come clean using the 'standard' methods.

Carry On!
    Gary
    ><>
    -- "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry. (Shakespeare was right!)

-- The Law IS the law -- Unless You ARE The Law.