Need some advice removing copper. Been using Hoppes No 9 not much success - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need some advice removing copper. Been using Hoppes No 9 not much success

Just beware of any ammonia based solvent in a chrome lined barrel for removing copper. If the solvent is left in the barrel for any length of time the chrome plating will peal out of the barrel. On a MolySteel barrel that is not a problem. Chrome plating is often applied to a very thin layer of copper to act as a bonding agent to the chrome plating.

--fjruple

2. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    Just beware of any ammonia based solvent in a chrome lined barrel for removing copper. If the solvent is left in the barrel for any length of time the chrome plating will peal out of the barrel. On a MolySteel barrel that is not a problem. Chrome plating is often applied to a very thin layer of copper to act as a bonding agent to the chrome plating.

--fjruple
    fjruple,
    From the info provided it is a Stellite lined barrel. I still do not know the difference, just want to clean it and store it.
    M.M.

I don't even try to remove fouling from my belt fed mg barrels. If corrosive ammo is used, then boiling water is used followed by oil to prevent corrosion. If non corrosive is used, then I'm a little embarrassed to admit, I don't do anything. My water cooled .50 barrels last around 6000 rounds so I replace them every 4 shoots anyway. Maxim barrels are seeing upwards of 20k rounds before accuracy degrades substantially.
    If it is a sub gun or a mg with a fixed barrel, I baby it, but on water cooled guns and belt Feds in general, I consider barrels wear parts and have never experienced any increase in useable life by removing copper fouling, as long as the bore does not rust.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. -Sir Winston Churchill -

WTB: Colt m66 tripod, Colt m74 tripod, Colt m37 tripod, (If you have a colt tripod for a bmg that is not a m35 argentine pattern, lets talk)

Quote Originally Posted by mminvestments View Post
    fjruple,
    From the info provided it is a Stellite lined barrel. I still do not know the difference, just want to clean it and store it.
    M.M.
    M.M. --

I believe the stellite barrel assemblies are only lined for the first four or five inches and the rest is a regular barrel. I believe the unlined part is chrome plated and again caution should be used if ammonium based solvents are used. Stellite is hard as hell. Recycled barrels are usually crashed to recover the stellite liners for reuse.

--fjruple

Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    M.M. --

I believe the stellite barrel assemblies are only lined for the first four or five inches and the rest is a regular barrel. I believe the unlined part is chrome plated and again caution should be used if ammonium based solvents are used. Stellite is hard as hell. Recycled barrels are usually crashed to recover the stellite liners for reuse.

--fjruple
    There are two kinds of M1919 Stellite barrels the early type did not have the chrome lined bore and chrome plated front barrel bearing surface the latter type did. for some info on barrels try http://www.m1919tech.com/22934.html. And fjruple is correct the Stellite part is only about 5 inches long and is right in front of the chamber
    "Fat's all right as long as its not from the neck up" Major General Hunter Liggett circa 1919"
    Looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary, right between SHIT and SYPHILIS" ...... Tom Jisa.... (My father-in-law) circa 1965.. or, if you prefer the more classical......Manus haec inimica tyrannis Einse petit placidam cum liberate quitem. (This hand, enemy to tyrants, By the sword seeks calm peacefulness with liberty)... Algernon Sidney.. (British patriot) circa 1665...

If you look carefully you can see the "jump" at the front of the liner where the joint is. Its a small gap for expansion I think? J

8. Remove Advertisements
    1919a4.com
    Advertisements