1919 A4 Forums banner

WTK: 22 cal training mauser info , help ID this rifle

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SlugCatcher 
#1 ·
Picked up a large collection a few weeks ago and trying to ID this German mauser maybe K98 training rifle. I have seen these with the same crest markings but with 1934 on it. This does not have the date and the engraving seems to be alot more detailed than the ones with the date on it. S/N is three digits 331 so it might be a pretty early one. Anyone have a ideal on the history for this rifle ? approx value ?

Revolver Auto part Muffler Metal Pipe

Shotgun Metal Pipe Material property Steel

Material property Rim

Pipe Bumper Auto part Muffler

Product Machine Auto part Bumper Revolver

Airsoft gun Shelf Furniture

See less See more
#2 ·
Deutches Sport Model.

nazi era training rifle made to simulate the appearance/weight of the k98 VS the same gun that had more of a target/sporter look to it made prior to then.

Beater bubba jobs of these used to get $1200 easily , yours seems a little later in manufacturing quality but IMHO would probably still fetch $2000, more if it still had the front sight ears/crown protector.

#5 ·
According to one source those .22 training rifles were known as DSM Training rifles. I don't know what the abbreviation stands for but they state the trainers were made by Mauser, Walther, Geco, BSM, Erma and Simson. Most have serial numbers on the bolts that match the rifle. Each company used their own action design.

OK I se it DSM= Deutches Sport Model.

#6 ·
Check over on Gunboards.com in the .22 forum or the Mauser forum for this one. A full picture would help as well. This is a dangerous area of collecting since it starts with one and simply gets out of hand. I started with a WZ-48 Mosin in .22 and ended up with 20 (all .22 from other nations) or so. ( I lost count). Yours looks good. Stock doesn't looked sanded and pretty original. Great find!

#9 ·
Thanks guys, the K98 forum has ALOT of info on these rifles. On the ideal of collecting these came across my mind but I see the prices of them I would rather collect belt fed stuff LOL. Going to be posting more questions as I go threw the collection I just got. Yesterday I cleaned the Remington Rand 1911a1 and Artillery Luger. The 1911a1 looks like all original except has a NM colt barrel with serrated barrel bushing which I allready replaced with a original WW2 bushing. Now I need either a HS or F marked nice blued WW2 barrel for it and a U cut rear sight. From what I can tell it is NOT a original NM 1911a1, there was no serial number on the barrel but just a part number so that tells me its not original NM gun. Anybody can reaffirm that thought ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.