1919 A4 Forums banner

CaptMax's Daimler Ferret MKII Restoration

180K views 675 replies 85 participants last post by  Idiot and opinion 
#1 · (Edited)
As was suggested this thread is for the restoration of my MKII Ferret. I hope this is in the correct forum and feel free to move it if it isn't.

In early June of 2014 a friend found this Ferret at "General Jim's", a army surplus store in Clare Michigan. He sent me some pictures and told me what they were asking for it. I went the following week and looked it over myself after doing some research on them. I then sent a good friend of mine "Gunner" to look it over as he had owned two of them in the past and he is very knowlegable on armored vehicles. Gunner convinced me that it was a "smoking deal" and that I should buy it. This is when I seriously started researching the internet to learn all I could about them.
On July 1st, 2014 I contacted the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset UK and inquired about the Ferrets history. After providing them with the British number assigned to the Ferret "01 DA 04" and along with a small fee they were able to send me the complete history of the vehicle. I am the second "civilian" owner since it was sold by the British government. It was found to be in the 10th Hussars, the Royal Grey Scots, as well as the notable Royal Green Jackets. This Ferret has some great history compared to most, even having been in the Falkland war of 1982.
In early July I spoke with the stores owner "Jeff " about the price and terms he would offer me, we struck a deal and shook hands on it. I started selling several guns, parts kits, and miscellaneous items from my military collection as I did not want to borrow money to purchase it. Over the next two months I would pay an occasional trip to General Jim's and put money down on the Ferret. Eventually on July 31st, 2014 it was mine. Now the fun begins!!!
I had been making a list of items I needed, mostly maintenance items like batteries, plugs, oil, antifreeze, filters ect. The Ferret was about 95% complete when purchased including the rare flare launchers and the sand channels. Several of the items like the spark plugs could only be located in the UK and as such the shipping was a killer. After gathering parts I am ready to begin the work needed to start the restoration. I had a friend with a rollback wrecker pick up the Ferret and deliver it to Gunners shop 100 miles north of me. Several guys said I took it to the right person which made me feel better, but I did have faith in him regardless. Within two days Gunner called to say the turret was off and he had begun working on lubricating all the latches, hatches, and brackets as they were pretty stiff due to not being used in several years.
Today (8/17/14) Gunner called to tell me he had started the Ferret!!! Now when I purchased this the seller informed me that it did run but that it had been 5-6 years since then. I must say that it was great news and the best news I have heard in months. This is what I think of "Gunner" now. :worship:
I will continue to add to this thread as the project progresses, and will include pictures when possible. If you have questions please ask and I will try and answer them, but please try and keep this thread on topic.
CaptMax

See less See more
#172 ·
I am going to blame it on the medications they gave me for my oral surgery. :lol:
I honestly don't even remember the ride home from the surgeons office, glad I had a designated driver!!!
CaptMax

#173 · (Edited)
Finally ready for paint. This was a royal PITA to do, just time consuming and tedious work. I cleaned the copper with a mixture of vinegar and salt, it worked out quite well. Looks better than the picture even.:D
CaptMax

#174 · (Edited)
Before and after pictures of the master cylinder, also have new flexible brake pipes ready to install. I will be re-sleeving the wheel cylinders, turning the hubs, and installing new brake fluid and brake pads as well.
CaptMax

#176 · (Edited)
Does this vehicle have standard threads, or metric, or that goofy British thread that's not quite either?
They are mostly "that goofy British thread" also known as Whitworth which look like a fine thread metric. :(
Someone had changed a few of them to standard threads over the years, but only on items that are bolted on such as tail lights. I will be using standard threads where I can to simplify things, but anything that needs to be whitworth will be as I don't want to have to re-tap any threads. Parts such as the storage boxes and fenders can use standard threaded nuts and bolts. Of course I will be using grade 8 hardware wherever possible.
Next I will be working on the oil filter and thermostat housing, here are pictures of those as they look now. One neat little find was inside the small cylinder tube on the thermostat housing. It contained the specification sheet on the rebuild of the engine that was done in 1979 at the #34 central workshop. I have enclosed a picture of that as well. More documentation to add to the interesting history that this Ferret has had.
CaptMax

#177 · (Edited)
Before and after pictures of the thermostat and housing after cleaning and painting. Verified operation of thermostat in heated water with cooking thermometer, replaced all gaskets as well.
It opens at 170 degrees and is full open at 200 degrees, this is what it should be. :D
The color is slightly off as it is cloudy today and it was sunny the last picture. The color matches great though.
CaptMax

#181 ·
Had DHL delivery bring a few goodies today from the UK. I acquired a set of aerial antennas, they are 3 meters tall and will give the Clansman radio great reception as well as allow me to fly a regiment pennant. Also got another headlight as one of mine was broken, now they are both matching and have the correct "FV" numbers on them. This stands for fighting vehicle. There was also a (New old stock) 2-man ration tin for mounting on the exterior, this is part of the CES kit that they were issued with. And two regiment decals for the turret. Little items but more details that will add to the restoration. I am waiting to hear back from a gentleman in Australia who has a complete set of new old stock brake cylinders, backing plates, brake lines, and pads. Hopefully we can work out a price and get them headed this way. It will save me from re-sleeving mine and provide me with a completely new brake system. Only downfall is I may have to sell a few more firearms to help fund this project but it is getting closer to seeing the end result. I am getting close to placing the order for the paint soon!!! :D
CaptMax

#187 ·
They look way to delicate to be in a battle car, I can see them in low speed construction equipment but this thing is supposed to do 50mph isn't it!
Not delicate at all, just lots of small parts. Yes they are supposed to do almost 60 mph.
Delicate should be reserved for my 2006 Chevrolet hubs, have you taken one of those apart lately?
Talk about cheaply built designed obsolescence. :mad:
CaptMax

#188 ·
Planetary reduction gear system with the Ring gear integral to the hub. Too funny, my thesis involved planetary gear drives. Thankfully I found a translation of a German text on the subject that did most of the intellectual heavy lifting. They're amazingly resilient as the forces are spread across all of the planetary gears, and (in this case) six teeth of the sun gear. Tractor hubs are a common application, as are propeller reduction gearboxes and helicopter main rotor gear boxes - anywhere a significant rotational speed reduction is needed in a small/light package.

#189 · (Edited)
Well I got all the hatches sand blasted, primed and painted but forgot to take pictures. They came out looking like new.
I did take some of the oil filter both before and after, it was supposed to be painted the British sky blue that the motor is so I used that paint as opposed to the silver. I also have several other pieces done like the air tube from the carb to the air cleaner and the cross brace over the hull. I'm getting there but am still working on the new brakes which should be done by the end of next week. Been dealing with oral surgeons the last five weeks so it has really put a damper on things.:(
CaptMax

#190 ·
I wouldn't have the patience to clean the parts up for painting, but working on the mechanical parts such as the brakes, engine and transmission, I would probably get into. I like taking things apart to see how they work and it sure looks like there are a lot of those on that vehicle. It is too bad that I have anxiety issues when it comes to travelling and being away from home or else I would come out and give you a hand on a weekend. It does look like your having some fun and the reward you will get when it is all done, will be amazing. :cool:

#196 ·
A bit off topic, but here is my Winter Cub Porter. Everything has been gone through and the snow thrower has been completely rebuilt. This is a narrow frame with the creeper gear, new tires, lights, and many new parts. Make me an offer if your interested.:thumbup:
CaptMax